Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Team Canada 3 Finland 1

After a game at the World Jr. Hockey Championships in Alberta, (pre-tournament), the Canadian team looks a bit different than I expected. But then what can you really tell so early on?

After beating the Fins 3-1 there seems to be a bit of concern about the team. The Fins were actually the better team in the 1st period but I think the Canucks were just figuring out their places on the squad. By the end of the game it looked like a team with a more solid identity. If they played a fourth period I think there woulda been some scoring.

It looked like part of the plan was to wear the Fins down. Boy giant Jamie Oleksiak obliterated one of the Fins but most of the hitting was done by the top line, Pearson/Scheifele and Smith-Pelly. In fact all by himself Smith-Pelly probably got a piece of every guy on the Finnish team! He was ferocious out there! The chemistry between Pearson and Scheifele, guys who have known each other since they were 9 or 10 and they play on the same line for the Barrie Ice Dogs, was easy to see. They got a lot of chances. Smith-Pelly opened a lot of ice for them, as he stated after the game it was his job to do. They were shut out of the scoring but that can't last too long.

Early in the game there seemed to be a second line of Bournival/Gallagher and Freddie Hamilton. I was impressed with Bournival who played better than I expected him to. Gallagher scored a goal and was easy to notice out there. Hooray for the little people! He's gonna be my underdog fave this year I think. I usually pick a small guy on the team who is really skilled to cheer for. Michael Cammalleri and Ryan Ellis are two guys I really liked.

I was worried that Mark Stone's talent might be wasted on the team but it certainly wasn't! Toward the end of the 2nd period he, Freddie H. and co-player of the game Jaden Schwartz looked good together. Stone got a goal and he and Schwartz really got chances together. I hope they stay on the same line. I thought Hamilton and Strome would be linemates but I didn't notice that pairing even though they're both on Niagara of the OHL. In fact Strome, who had an assist, then had it taken away, wasn't really all that noticeable. But I think when Huberdeau shows up those 3 guys will go to town.

Schwartz was almost Gretzky-esque out there skating in over the blue line then circling back and looking for an open trailer. He had a cool head and was very impressive. I'm still a bit worried about him getting injured though. Is it just me or does he look like an older, hockey-playing version of Hayley Joel Osment?



I wonder if Jaden Schwartz sees dead people...

I was happy to see Brett ConnOlly in full bloom. I saw his jersey enough to realize I've been spelling his name wrong all this time. He had the highlight of the night spinarama move that almost ended up as a goal. Plus he had a couple assists. He was paired with Boone Jenner who did WAY better than I expected! He got a goal and made several great plays. I thought he'd be a role player on the team and outta nowhere he was, in my humble opinion, the player of the game. (with Schwartzy)

Howden and Huberdeau, two guys who will really add some scoring to team Canada, were out with injury so I don't share the concern most people have at this point. I think the team is right on schedule, maybe even ahead of the game.

The defence was not so great in the first period. I think the Calgary scorekeepers generously gave team Canada a tie in shots in the period. It looked to me like Finland was getting two shots to every one for our guys. Brandon Gormley looked fantastic and Ryan Murray in his Neidermayer-inspired number 27 was very smooth. They all seemed to gather confidence as the game wore on. I'm really not too worried about them.

With the jitters all worked out, and possibly the full team on the ice against Switzerland on Thursday, I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole pile of goals scored. BY Canada!

Visentin looked good in goal. I may have been a little carried away saying he's going to play every game in my previous post. Canada plays on back to back days a few times so I expect we'll see Wedgewood the backer-upper. Kinda looking forward to seeing him play actually.

I LOVE TSN for posting the games on their website, tsn.ca, (just go to broadband, video library, World Jr. Championship games on demand). I think I might just watch their first game all over again!

Can't wait till Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment