Monday, December 14, 2015

I'll Be Home For Christmas

What a lovely spring we're having! This winter. Seriously, plus 10?!?!? I understand the same sort of weather conditions are being enjoyed by Canadians right now. And the newly welcomed Syrians too.
Ha ha ha. But seriously, way to go, Trudeau Part Deux! There will be people complaining about how Canadian tax payers can afford to support the refugees when we can't support our own poor, which is true, we really SHOULD do more for the poor in Canada, but you will find it'll be mostly the wealthy, money-grubbing, tax break receiving, former Harper supporters who never gave a shit about the poor anyway and are just saying it to whine about his replacement who just might make them pay taxes this year and might use them for something worthwhile. Ahhh but it's so nice when Canadian political cartoons inspire laughter in me instead of thoughts of assassination!

It was only couple of days ago that I was going out with Skadi and Lona to poop-walk them in shorts and a shirt. Those are the Spiwak/Peet dogs. The Mike and Heather, (Spiwak/Peet respectively), residence is where I've been for a long while now. Freeloading off my good friends. I say that but, really, I feel that living with these guys comes with chores. And doing some of those chores has helped out and possibly lowered the Stressmas stress around here. But it has also gotten me into the Christmas spirit more efficiently than I would have if I'd been on my own. After all, the way we celebrate Christmas nowadays, it's about the kiddies, isn't it? And, they have kiddies! I'm enjoying the decorations and the Elf on the Shelf and the music and movies and food! I really am!

But staying amongst a family again has also made me accutely aware of how different my life would have been if I had had children. And although I say every year to friends and family members that I envy them at this time of year, I probably shouldn't. Here's an example:


It's brother Mark, Sister-in-law Sherry-Lynn and their clan. I'm sure there will be some great moments in their Christmas season this year that they will talk of with friends and family while celebrating the yuletide together, but I know what happens between all those Christmas party worthy yarns. I know the searching for decorations, the setting up of said decorations making sure those youngsters who want to take part can take part just enough to get the satisfaction of contribution without messing it up for everyone else. I also know how the older ones are the opposite and need to be prodded to get off the X-Box and decorate the friggin' tree or make the red and green chain or put the fucking lotion in the basket!!!

I have witnessed the struggle of balancing all the company and school Christmas concerts, parties, functions and get-togethers that popular families with kids get invited to. "Who will resent us LEAST if we don't show up?" The kids can have Christmas candy and sweets, but not too much. "But INSERT NAME has already had three, why can't I?" We should watch some Christmas movies as a family. I want 'Christmas Vacation.'" "I want '"A Christmas Story.'" "We've already seen that." "Yeah but INSERT NAME has watched 'Polar Express' 3 times!" "I wanna watch 'Krampus.'" "That's not a Christmas movie!" "It is so!" "I don't wanna watch any movies." "Okay then, no Star Wars for you." "I wanna watch THAT movie!" And so on and so forth...

And there are things that people just wouldn't even think of. Like laundry. Mike and Heather let me do my laundry while I'm staying with them. And it's great because they have something very rare here in Korea: a DRYER! So I feel like I am doing the family a little favour by folding the stuff in the dryer and transfering the washing machine clothes to the dryer before I start my stuff. Today, unless there is a circus performer or an elf living here that I don't know about, the clothes in the dryer I folded were Iryna's. She's the 8-year-old. HOLY MOLY! "Is this one shirt or two shirts stuck together?" "Is this a skirt or stockings or both stuck together?" "How do you fold spaghetti straps?" "A dress. A one-piece dress. I'm just gonna do the fitted sheet fold for this..." "Is this DOLL clothing?" "ONE electric, sparkly, hot pink sock. How do you LOSE the other one?" "How many pairs of yoga pants does a girl need in life?" "Okay lace trim in or out?" I swear I had to Google a couple of items!

I have told Heather and Mike that I appreciate them for letting me stay with them until I get back on my feet. They are wonderful human beings and I hope I can repay them someday. I have also told them that I appreciate it even moreso because every day spent at their house reminded me that even though Christmas IS for the kiddies, and it's nice to see them all excited at this time of year, I'm so glad I ended up childless and single!

That said, I have completed the transfer to Gangneung. Gangneung, (formerly Kang Neung), is known as Pine City here in Korea. The aptly named, full of pine trees, city will host a lot of the winter olympic events in 2018. I hear there are 3 hockey arenas being built as I write this. I went for a drive around my neighbourhood with my boss yesterday and he showed me some of the construction. There are also some really nice walks amongst the pines. It's very close to both mountains and ocean. It has probably about 250,000 people. A far cry from the hustle and bustle of Seoul! It's got Gyeungpo Lake and beach and some awesome seafood. Even awesome for a guy like me, who isn't especially fond of seafood. The weather here is warmer in winter, (with more snow), than Seoul, and cooler in summer. I may never need an air conditioner! There will only be two months in the summer, July and August, that will get really hot. But even then the average temperature will only get to around 24. I can deal with that I think.

I moved into my new place yesterday, (Dec. 14th). It's provided by Mac's Hagwon where I'll be working. I was enjoying coffee with the landlord and lady yesterday and they asked if I like Korean coffee. I said I liked Max coffee, Max beer and Mac's Hagwon. Nobody really got the joke. I guess because the coffee is actually Maxim and the school is actually Mac. But I got the beer right! So anyhoo, yesterday was spent unpacking and arranging all my stuff in the place. I stocked the fridge and bought most of the things I need to be comfy. I think I'm going to like the place. Here are some pics:


This will be where the magic happens. I will most likely be spending the rest of December going to Japan on a visa run, getting my alien registration card, going to the hospital for the necessary blood tests and the like. Just getting all settled and legal here. But the other time, except maybe Christmas with Heather and Mike, will be spent prepping for my new classes. Here is where I'll make my curriculums. And, starting Boxing Day, I'll also watch the World Jr. Hockey Championships of course.


Here's the entrance where I hang my hats and E-Mart bag. Most of the provisions I bought yesterday were from E-Mart. We have a big one here. Thank goodness!


Here's the desk again and that sliding door goes to my laundry area. I have a new washing machine, but, alas, no dryer any more. Back to the old rack drying. I don't mind my clothes a little crusty. It builds character. There is also a boiler room in the laundry hall which is big enough to store lots of stuff. And a nice, big window with a good view of the hood. I'm on the second floor so can see pretty far. Can almost see the hagwon from here.


And here's my GIANT new bed. I don't have the right sized bedding for it but I went to E-Mart and bought the soft, blue blanket. It was pretty comfy last night. The wallpaper... meh.


And this is the kitchen area. So if you imagine all that in a panoramic view, you get the gist of my new place. LOTS of space! I like it. Only problem I've had so far was the yappy dogs around here but at least that wasn't the case at night.

Now to get the visa, ARC and lesson planning done... And I dare say I can do it all quickly and efficiently because I am unmarried and childless. I may have dodged a life-bullet there.


2 comments:

  1. This is a good surprise for your family members you are going to give them a surprise become a Christmas man. my father also come our home and we think he is Santa and he give me a site assignments help at that moment I was happy to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The global automated electronic control unit market is being driven by the increasing safety standards. The growing demand for energy-efficient automobiles is further driving the market growth. Growing awareness about environmental issues is additionally fostering the demand growth within the industry. However, the high maintenance cost of the merchandise might limit the industry growth.

    Also Read: portable ultrasound market
    dog food market

    ReplyDelete