Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Fascinating Psychology of Assholery

Just look at these two smiling faces. This is something that astounds me, intrigues me, fascinates me almost, but not quite, to the point of a smidgen of respect. How can these assholes do it?
The one ran for government and lost. He's an electrician who has lobbied against the Ontario College of Trades which is, as its name might imply, a college that teaches people and certifies them to work in skilled trades like construction, cement finishing, and, hey, even electrician work. He claimed that there was too much bureaucracy and huge fees. (His company paid the "huge" amount of 100 bucks a year it says in the article) He spent a lot of time slagging the college.

Well now, he's on the board of governors of the Ontario College of Trades. In the above pic he's smiling next to Stephen Harper, a man who was the worst PM Canada ever had, and who hurt average Canadians more than any man ever. A couple of the other antisocial personalities he hangs out with are listed in the article. They are all this kind of person that intrigues me. The way that serial killers intrigue me. Or people who never bathe or cut their fingernails. Or people who drink their own urine or tie heavy weights to their balls. They're all deviants on the same scale but money has made some of them socially acceptable.

I am positive this picture has been taped to many a Canadian dartboard and been viewed with comments to the effect of, "The dynamic dickheads," or "Which one's the giant douche and which one's the turd sandwich?" or you can make up your own. People hate these guys. And for good reason. But do they look like they care? No. In fact it is with endless fascination that I see guys like these, Trump, and businesspeople I have dealt personally with, (see last post), almost TRYING to get people to hate them. Like they are nourished by our hatred.

I have a theory that they believe they are more clever than us, deserve more money and power than us, and the hatred comes from jealousy. Or at least they have built that false idea up in a well constructed mental defense mechanism inside their heads. In truth it is what I call "don'tgiveashit" that allows them to be completely unprincipled and consider it a savvy business skill.

It doesn't take wit, brains or cleverness to lie, cheat and steal. It takes "don'tgiveashit." I can attract a person to a job with a contract full of big promises, then break the contract and cut the earnings and benefits to a fraction of what was promised, but I would never do that because I care what people think of me and I have a conscience. I KNOW it IS personal when you do crap like that and it is NOT just business. People like the above get a lot of mileage out of that phrase, but is business really just cheating, lying and stealing? It very well may be, but I give a shit, I see a problem with that. Dickheads like these guys depend on the majority of people either NOT seeing a problem with slimy business practices being the norm, or seeing the problem and doing nothing about it.

A fascinating moment in my "negotiations" the other day was when my boss fabricated a 45-minute class at the university where I'm teaching now. Along with a mystery informer who told her of these non-existent 45-minute classes. When the two of them just kept repeating this lie despite an official schedule right in front of them disproving their statement, along with school bells and the word of a 21-year veteran that there have never been 45-minute classes, they kept saying it like they believed they had the power to speak it into existence. Then when I finally relented and said, "Whatever, it doesn't matter. 5 minutes is no big deal," there was a palpable relief. Almost like the relief one feels after a nice meal. Like they believed they had finally shown themselves to be smarter than me by tricking me, and they needed that sustenance to maintain their business egos. Also, it wasn't just that they had done something good for themselves, it felt as though they believed they had done something good for ME!

To this point in the proceedings I had called them out on every attempt at deception and they were getting demoralized. The maximum 20 hours of work was never accompanied by 20 office hours a week. It wasn't in the contract and knowing that some schools expect office hours, I had asked about it in my interview and had been told that no office hours were required. The boss, during all the bad news, smiled at me and said to me, like she thought I was a 3-year-old, "But there is good news for you! You don't have to do any of the 20 office hours in your contract." I said, "Well that's handy cuz I don't have an office any more." This was met with, "WHY DON'T YOU, WHY CAN'T YOU.... YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND OUR POSITION!"

When I started, Huasheng had a contract with #5 high school. That's where I was hired to teach and that's where the majority of my teaching took place. But I had small classes and some of my students from them told me stories about how their parents and the parents of other students feel about Huasheng and it was roughly the way I now feel about them. A bunch of crooks. So there wasn't much chance of getting enough work from #5 school. In fact, they LOST the contract. That's why every last one of the other teachers there quit and that's why they are locking us out of classrooms. And that's why I no longer have my office at #5 school. They still, however, proudly display the pamphlet at the Huasheng offices, that announces their affiliation with #5 because, like with me and my good reputation, they are hoping to improve THEIR low prestige through association rather than, you know, actually doing a good job.

Besides, with the way they removed breaks and added hours and hours of travel time, I'll be working or travelling to or from work, well OVER 40 hours a week. So it was a deke that I easily read. So were not being paid for breaks or travel time. It's a catch 22. The con-man mentality, which I've explained before, is the dominant business mentality in China. It was explained to me by a Chinese person. The same letters appear in the word "cheat" as in the word "teach." They believe that when they cheat you, they are doing you a favour and making you wiser so you won't get cheated again. But then there's this anger they feel when you catch them trying to cheat you. It's almost like they are angry that you are not letting them teach you a lesson. Like an unruly student. "Shut up and let me cheat, I mean teach you!"

I'll give you another example from my daily life here. I recently bought some cookware. It was on sale but it wasn't especially cheap. This is because it has the special bottoms that are usable with my hotplates. All other pots and pans, (like the ones I owned), don't work. It's like Apple making only their, more expensive programs, usable on their devices. Everything else is incompatible. It's a dick move. But there's more. The cooking surfaces, (the opposite of the bottoms), are also a problem. They are a shiny black material that is extraordinary! I've never known any material to which food more readily and firmly sticks. So you have to wonder at the mind that invented this surface. Did that person think it should be used as an adhesive? No. That person went out of his/her way to bring this hell into people's lives. "I'll show the world! I'll use it for cookware! Mwuhahahaha!

I stand over the pot with pasta in it constantly stirring and STILL there will be some stuck. Washing is more like sanding down the pasta deposits on the bottom of the pot. Everything! I cook noodles and there are little seaweed leaves SUPERGLUED to the sides of the pot. Again I can't wash them off, I need to sand them off.

There has got to be a cheaper to manufacture surface that could have been used. It's like they WANT to cause others pain, inconvenience and harm. I tell you there is pure evil in this world of ours.

The mystery is, how do they become like this? What causes them to lose their "giveashit?" Weren't they hugged enough? Is it something they were born with? I've spent my whole life trying to be good and honest not just so others will like me, but partly because of that. I can't imagine enjoying bringing sadness or pain or harm to others. Is it cultural?

The Italian word "mafia" means swagger or bravado. The kind of egotistical overconfidence that it takes to say, "Hey, maybe you don't want me to, but I am going to take care of you. You don't know it, but you can't take care of yourself. You're not smart enough or powerful enough. You need someone as awesome as me to protect you, to govern you. What if, (God forbid, genuflection), SOMEone should throw a rock through your window or all the windows on this street, or, Madonne a mi, fly a plane into a skyscraper or two, then what could you do? I can protect you. Now, it's gonna require a little payment on your part for the privilege of my protection, which you don't want. And if you don't pay this protection "TAX" we'll call it, then we're gonna have to hurt you a little bit. And your family. And your pets. And..."

My theory on this, and it's all psychology so purely speculative, is that mafia, captains of industry and government are largely made up of these egomaniacs who put SO much energy, time and thought into their love affairs with themselves that none is left to care about anyone else. This is why antisocial personalities, people with personalities overflowing with don'tgiveashit, are the absolute perfect world leaders, C.E.O.'s and mafia bosses. And this is why they all think nothing of making decisions that kill people no matter how directly or indirectly. Witness Trump in one of my earlier posts saying in an interview, as though he was okaying a new traffic light, "I don't like killing people but sometimes it's got to be done."

That's Europe and North America infected with this mental illness. Let's now fly to Asia. I once heard a comedian, it might have been Russell Peters,

 saying how when you bargain with some people the price might be 100 bucks and you could offer maybe 70 or something. Anything less and they'll just laugh and ignore you. But with the Chinese you could offer 10 bucks and they will start bargaining. They won't let you go either. They'll bargain for 20 minutes to get your offer up to 10.50 from the original price of 100. I'm wondering if my contract that went from Huasheng paying me 15000 RMB per month to 2000 a month was an example of the opposite of this. But I hate worse than death doing "business!" I HATE negotiations or any talking at all about money with my boss! And I NEVER bargain when I shop. I prefer to shop where the price is the price. No haggling.

My friend Heather thinks I should open my own English hagwon in Korea. I said to her that just these last few days of nonsense has taken a year off my life. I can't imagine what working every day with Korean mothers of my school's students would do to me! I just don't have the "don'tgiveashit!"

I was not interested in another second of haggling with Huasheng so I quit. Take it or leave it. I quit, was my offer. And I won. For now. But if they find someone who will work for 14000 a month, I might be out of a job. Or if they go out of business. It's another month till I get paid. If I actually DO get paid from them again. This will be interesting.

I wonder what this sort of personality does with bankruptcy. I guess Trump has a good model. He just sues the people he owes money to. So maybe in the next few months I'll be getting paid the 15000 a month I signed for, or maybe they'll sue me for something. Hey, it's nothing personal, it's just business.

BAH! It's just mental illness is what it just IS! Leastaways, that's what I reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment