Monday, January 4, 2016

Bubble Bubble Bubble Puke



So after my first full day of work at my new job, I get home at around 9:45, (I work 3:30 to 9:30), do a little more work making attendance sheets and hit the sack at about midnight. I sleep until 3:30. I get up feeling REALLY hungry but try to force myself back to sleep. I had a sandwich and a couple of oranges at work. That should be enough, no? Well apparently no.

Now it's 6:00 in the morning Tuesday. I just had some scrambled eggs and toast. So now if I go back to bed within the next 3 hours, (which I plan to), I'll get the old reflux. Can't win!

I think I'll get used to it. It's just the first day. But while tossing and turning, and checking the internet, I came across a funny Family Guy video about Korea. Of course, being Family Guy, it shows nothing positive about Korea, but does it in a funny way. I had no idea, but it's a parody of a Hyuna video. Largely. I got that from the comments. I had never heard of Hyuna, and earlier in the day I was asked by one of my brand new students who my favourite Korean pop star was. I am proud to admit that I only KNOW one. Psy. And no WAY was I going to say he was my favourite! Though he is by default. I guess it's the same as saying my favourite Canadian pop singer is Justin Bieber. He is, I suppose, by default because I don't know any others. I am completely, by choice, out of touch with modern pop music. I wouldln't recognize a Justin Bieber song if I heard one. Much less a K-pop song!

So I just deflated an entire class of Hooray-for-Korea hearts and said, "I don't like K-pop." I did, however, admit to knowing Psy. They asked if Psy was big in Canada and I knocked some more wind outta their sails and told them the little kids liked him. Talk about shattering my chances at being the cool teacher with THAT group!

So I reckoned it wsa time to do some research. You know, to see what the kids are listening to here. Well I gotta tell you, I watched the video "Bubble Pop" once and had some strong doubts that ANYbody is LISTENING to that crap. I thought it might have been my imperfect, (near zero), grasp of the Korean language that was the problem. So I looked up <a href="http://lyricstranslate.com/en/bubble-pop-bubble-pop.html">this translation of the lyrics</a>.

Nope. Still no redeeming qualities. By my reckoning, between the lines of pure nonsense, (which are mocked by Family Guy), there seems to be a message. Basically "I can do what I want and get away with it because I'm gorgeous." Now watch me jiggle my lady parts to attract you so I can push you away. Call me more but don't whine if I don't answer my phone. Now watch me shake my hot-pants-wearin' ass. My lying heart is like bubble bubble bubble pop, but why don't you trust me? Look at my sexy S-line. Don't try to change my lying, moody, manipulative, bitchy personality, but here's a list of things for YOU to work on. Lash flash, boob shake.

HOLY CRAP! I thought. I dated this girl back in the 90's! She's one of the big reasons I still can't speak Korean! What I need now is a sleeping pill and a Men in Black pen to flash in my own eyes so I can forget ever seeing this video or the translation thereof. Failing that, I'll just have to satisfy myself with NEVER, if at all possible, EVER watching another K-pop video. But I AM going to watch this vid about another hundred times! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CceSdR3loY

If the link doesn't work, just search Family Guy K-pop and you'll see it. I have noticed a couple things. The shirt Peter wears first says pan goo. That means fart in Korean. (Peter Griffin chuckle) The words in the "nonsense" part WERE nonsense. "Animation," "Studio," "Saranghae," which means I love you, and a couple I don't know. I actually wonder if the Family Guy animation is still done in Korea. It used to be. But I think they moved it to Thailand.
Anyhoo, just trying not to go to bed immediately after eating. But thanks to Family Guy, maybe I can rest secure in the idea that I'm not the only one who detests K-pop. And rightly so!

No comments:

Post a Comment